When I was younger, I used to hate onions! I'd tell people I was allergic just so no one would make me eat them. I'm ashamed to admit but it took me a really long time to actually give onions a chance. So who knew that one of my all time favorite condiments would be pickled onions?
One of our go to haunts in Durham was this amazing Mexican restaurant called Tonali. Every time we went, I'd say I was going to try something new, but then the draw of my favorite dish (grouper tacos with a mango salsa and pickled red onions) was too strong! This is also the dish that began my unhealthy obsession over picked red onions. Once I mastered (I say this very lightly because its so easy) how to make them, I toss them on everything! And once you taste them, you will too!
- 1 red onion - thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno - thinly sliced
- 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix together vinegar, salt, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Add onion and jalapenos.
- Let sit for 4 - 6 hours. Then refrigerate.
- These will last over a week in the fridge.