Do you remember the pre-made rice krispy treats that came in the blue wrapper? Those did not do these amazing treats justice. My mother is an amazing cook but she doesn't really do traditional 'American' food. So I had a pretty low opinion of rice krispy treats for a very long time! Luckily, someone introduced me to the amazingness of homemade treats. And once I learned how easy they were to make them, I started experimenting with different mix-ins and methods. This is one of my favorites with tart bing cherries and cranberries! Be warned these are incredibly addicting!
- 1 box Rice Krispy cereal
- 1 bag marshmallows
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup chopped dried bing cherries
- 2/3 cup chopped dried cranberries
- In a very large pot melt butter over medium low heat.
- Add in marshmallows and extract. Stir constantly until melted.
- Fold in dried fruit.
- Add in cereal and mix until everything is well coated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer mix onto the paper.
- Spread the mix evenly and top with another piece of parchment paper. Run a rolling pin over it to flatten the treats.
- Let cool for 10 -15 minutes then cut into pieces with a buttered knife (a knife rubbed with butter)