When my mom suggested we get sandwiches in India, my first reaction was 'HELL NO'. But since no one could stop raving about these Bombay sandwiches and the huge number of stands serving them (and the crazy lines), I couldn't resist trying one! Oh my gosh. Mind blown. Who knew that beet in a sandwich would be so good! Of course, after returning to the US, I was seriously craving a Bombay sandwich. So I gave my best shot at re-creating these using ingredients found in the states. My version got the family stamp of approval!
Chutney recipe: http://www.thesvarablog.com/green-chutney/
- 1 beet - sliced
- 1/2 onion - sliced
- 1 tomato - sliced
- Lettuce - torn
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 pound sliced Havarti cheese
- 1/2 cup green chutney
- 12 slices white bread
- In a small pot bring water to boil and boil beets until slightly tender. Dry and place in fridge to cool.
- Spread mayo and green chutney on one side of bread.
- On 4 slices of the bread, layer cheese and veggies. Top with another slice of bread with the mayo side down.
- Spread mayo and chutney on the side facing up and layer with cheese and veggies. Top with remaining bread, mayo side down.
- Cut and serve.